Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Back from the Holidays!

Phew! It's been a busy holiday season this year. A and I celebrated three Christmases, three birthdays, and traveled to Pensacola, FL and Round Rock, TX all in the matter of a couple of weeks. That being said, it's no wonder that a few of us got sick!

Christmas day went well. A's parents came in from San Antonio to celebrate Christmas. We had a great time with them Christmas Eve. A's dad bought some Saltlick ribs and turkey for us to have for dinner. The ribs were excellent, and I can honestly say that's the best turkey I've ever had. Now all I need is to learn how to make my own food taste so good! Anyways, we had a great time w/ them on Christmas Eve, then opened presents Christmas morning. No doubt that S got quite a few gifts, since this is his first Christmas. But I got the best gift of all - A got me a video iPod for Christmas, and her parents got me an iHome (the stereo w/ a dock for the iPod to play over the stereo speakers). It's great - I've already spent countless hours transferring my CD's to the iPod. And since it also does videos, I've got all the cute pictures of A and S on there.

After we celebrated Christmas w/ A's parents, we were off to my parent's house, where my parents and both my brothers and their familys were waiting. We had a huge lunch there, and exchanged gifts. A and I got my niece a longhorn puzzle for Christmas, but since she's only 2 yrs old it's still a little complicated for her. It's got only about 10 pieces, but she's not that interested in making them fit on the puzzle board -- until she gets to the longhorn! She nails that piece every time. Unfortunately, one of my sister-in-law's was a little ill and probably didn't have a great time there, but we're so happy that everyone could come together for Christmas.

A's parents left on Dec 26th, and by the time we felt like we were starting come off of the Christmas high, it was time to head out to Navarre Beach (that's near Pensacola, ya'll) for some fun in the sun w/ my dad's family. Baby's first plane ride!! It was great. We rented a condo at the "Pearl of Navarre". A and I stayed w/ my cousin and her family on the 16th floor, while my parents stayed w/ Dad's bro, his wife and daughter, and my grandparents on the 9th floor. I thought that being so far up would be awful, b/c usually we rent a beach house and we're right there on the beach, but this wasn't bad either. Actually, I enjoyed the view better b/c you could see for miles and miles. Here's a picture of my family in Navarre:


Being on the 16th floor was actually pretty cool. As I said, you have a great view. A helicopter flew by, and I actually had to look down to see it.
It was good to see Christie, Chad and the boys. The boys are growing up very quickly. We had fun playing with them at the park in Ft. Walton. I'm glad we got to see them, even if it was only for a few days. Grandma and Pa-pa were looking well. This was the first opportunity they've had to get to see S, so we made sure that we made the trip this Christmas.
Anyways, when we all got settled in from making the trip, we had our third Christmas gift exchange. This one was one of the smallest, since A and I had to shop for the boys and keep it to gifts that would fit in our luggage, but I think the boys will like their gifts. Christie and Chad's gift was a little bigger (SceneIt board game), so we smuggled it aboard the plane in the car seat bag (yes, we took a car seat with us and didn't rent one w/ the car). The weather was not great for beach-related activities, but that was okay b/c I've put on a few pounds this holiday...
Pretty uneventful trip until we were driving back to Pensacola to fly back to Houston. The morning was extremely foggy, and as we were coming off the bridge to get back to the mainland from Navarre beach, Dad stopped at the red light at the base of the bridge. A, S, and I were following in the next car, and I was driving. I had to brake quickly, but I guess I braked too quickly. The tires locked up, and the next thing I know I'm sliding towards the bumper of my dad's rental car. First thing I thought was "Oh s*&t!" then the second thing I thought was "Why didn't we get that extra rental insurance? Now, we're going to have to pay for repairs on two rental cars!". I pumped the brakes and luckily the tires bit the road just long enough for me to steer the car off the road into the grass. Good thing there wasn't any curb. After our heart rates all went back down, we continued on our way w/ no injuries to body or cars. It was close, though!
We got back to Houston on the 31st, got unpacked, and celebrated New Year's at our neighbor's house. S was already sick b/c of the trip, so we didn't stay until midnight. Unfortunately, S had a reaction to the medicine we were giving him, and it was like he was on a caffine O.D. He kept falling asleep, then 5 seconds later, he'd startle back awake. This went on past midnight, so A and I celebrated the new year w/ a kiss after all.
He's still sick, but the doctor gave him some anti-biotics and we're hoping that will knock out all the congestion that he's been having.
For the last leg of our holiday tour, we took off last weekend for Round Rock to celebrate my niece's birthday at my bro's place. That was a blast. My parents also went up there, and there were a few of my brother's friends as well. Unfortunately, some of our closest friends couldn't make it because they were still in Pasadena, CA for the Rose Bowl.

This is a picture of my niece and S together at my brother's house. I thought this was a really good picture. Anyways, now I'm finally back home, and things are starting to settle down a bit, so I finally got a chance to write this blog.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!

No comments: