Monday, January 23, 2006

Ode to Okra

Amy finally got to use the vegetable strainer I got her for Christmas. It's an attachment that goes on your kitchenaid mixer. We were hoping that this would be convenient for when we cook dinner, and want to make dinner for baby also. The first thing we made for Stephen was carrots. That seemed to go well, except the product comes out two different places. The strainer tries to separate the product into two categories - the strained vegetable and the excess. You'd think that for cooked, peeled carrots, there wouldn't be any excess. But there seemed to be more of that than there was strained carrots. Maybe we didn't put it together correctly (but I think we did, since I even *gasp* looked at the directions to make sure I was putting it together correctly). The carrots went well, so Amy started looking through the freezer for something else to strain and give to baby. That's where it took a turn for the worse...

Turns out, okra is not a good vegetable to put through the strainer! The following story has reconfirmed my suspicion that okra is a foul vegetable. I don't think it should even be called a vegetable. It should be called a vege-devil. It's the nastiest, slimiest veggie known to man. If you couldn't tell, I've never liked okra. Many of you have probably heard me say it before, but I'm writing it here at the peril of repeting myself - "I don't like okra. As a matter of fact, the only thing I like about fried okra is the fried." That's how much I don't like it.

The kitchenaid I think agrees with me on this subject, because the strained version of okra is much worse. Cleaning that stuff out of there was like taking the slippery moss growing on a rock in the river, then blowing snot on it, then throwing little white seeds in the mix. It was nasty. The good thing though is that we're now officially out of okra!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I've noticed that people tend to take vegetables they don't like, mush them up, and try to feed them to their babies. What is that? I guess I can understand that the baby may like the vegetable even if you don't, but I don't understand what the motivation to try is.