Surely you all have heard of Andrea Yates and the terrible thing she did to her five children. It was a terrible and tragic event that shocked many of us. Rusty Yates was in the news recently. Is it fair that Rusty gets to move on with his life, taking a new bride, while his ex-wife is serving a life sentence in prison?
I have no doubt in my mind that Andrea was suffering from mental disorders that caused her to go over the top and take the lives of her children. Having a baby of my own, I now understand the phrase "a baby is God's opinion that life should go on." Carl Sandburg said that. I know in my heart that every morning, Andrea has to get up and start the daily struggle trying to deal with the knowledge of what she did. I only hope that she has found forgiveness both from the Lord and from her family.
Also, I believe that there had to have been signs that Rusty ignored. Andrea didn't just wake up one day in a bad mood and decide to drown her own children. There were articles written for and against this opinion, but that's my belief. Raising a baby drains you physically and mentally (luckily, ours is pretty good -- no colic or anything like that). I couldn't even imagine raising five children...
No comments:
Post a Comment